Back in 1593, what was once King Henri IV’s hunting pavilion, on the woody outskirts of Paris, was bequeathed to the Daughters of God. The French Government claimed back the convent fields and in 1850 a hotel was erected here. It was the precursor to L’Échiquier Opéra. By the end of 2015, the hotel, owned by Jacques Gad and pertaining to the MGallery collection by Sofitel, was completely refurbished. Located in the Boulevards, leisure hub during the so-called “fin de siècle”, its identity, built upon a constellation of party venues, beer houses and arcades, remains still intact.
The project was entrusted to the studio Le Coadic-Scotto, who had recently refurbished as well the historic Carlton hotel in Lyon. Their style: charm and freshness, filtered through nostalgia. This is very Parisian indeed. Everything revolves around the large winter garden. Its immense skylight evokes the beautiful Parisian arcades as well as those cast-iron and glass pergolas turned into symbol of modernity by the World’s Fair of both London and Paris. Light gushes from above and falls on the golden tesseras of the semicircular bar, on the mirrors and the skirting boards, creating a warm, pleasant environment. According to the architects, “we wanted the interior design to be retro, classic and unflinchingly modern at the same time”. These are the same features brandished by the selected rattan furniture, upholstered in turquoise: Fontal armchairs and chairs by Oscar Tusquets, Copa armchair by Studio expormim and Nautica swing chair by MUT Design, together with Kiri side tables by Mario Ruiz. The elegance of the material adds to the historic elements, such as the mosaic floor, the stained glass in the marble staircase or the elevator, all of them of the time. Le Coadic states: “The success of a project lies not in the renovation of the space at any cost. What moves people is the soul of a place”.